In Japanese Cuisine, donburi refers to rice bowls with meat and vegetables that can come in endless varieties.
Perfectly Balance Your Plate
This is a perfectly balanced plate.
1 cup uncooked rice
2 cups water
1 tsp + 1 tbsp oil, divided
1⁄2 lb (225 g) beef strips
1⁄3 cup hot water
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 bell peppers
1⁄2 red onion
1 cup matchstick carrots
Toppings (optional): sliced green onion, Poke Bowl Topper
- In Multipurpose Steamer, combine rice and water. Top with tray; microwave uncovered on high for 16–18 min, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in Sauté Pan over medium-high heat. Add beef and stir-fry for 3–5 min, or until lightly browned.
- Combine seasoning with hot water and soy sauce. Thinly slice peppers and onion. Add vegetables to pan and cook until slightly soft.
- Stir in seasoning mixture; cook until slightly thickened, about 6 min. Turn into 4-Cup Prep Bowl; cover and set aside.
- Using a damp cloth or paper towel, gently wipe pan clean and return to stovetop. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil. When pan is hot, crack in eggs. Cover and cook eggs until egg whites are set, about 2–3 min.
- Divide rice, beef, and veggie mixture between 4 bowls. Top each bowl with one cooked egg. Add toppings, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 480, Fat 18 g (Saturated 5 g, Trans 0.3 g), Cholesterol 225 mg, Sodium 410 mg, Carbohydrate 56 g (Fibre 4 g, Sugars 11 g), Protein 23 g.